Replying to a Newsgroup article
When you're reading newsgroup articles, notice some articles are indented in the article header pane. An indented article is a reply to the article above it. When an article is a reply to a reply, it's indented even farther.
You can reply to any newsgroup article you read, starting by clicking any of these three buttons:
These options apply in most news reader programs, though probably with slightly different buttons or menu items. Again, I only have instructions handy for Netscape. In Netscape, all three options involve using the article Composition window. The only difference is which button you click to open the window.
- Re: News -- Post a reply article to the newsgroup, so anyone can read it
- Re: Mail -- Send an e-mail reply directly to the author of the article
- Re: Both -- Send a reply to both the newsgroup and the author
To reply to a newsgroup article in Netscape
- On the Window menu, click Netscape News. The news window appears.
- In the news server pane, click the plus sign (+) next to a folder, or double-click the folder. The folder opens to display newsgroups.
- Click a newsgroup name. A list of posted articles for the newsgroup appears in the article header pane. Click a article in the article header pane. The text of the article appears in the bottom pane.
- Click one of these three buttons: Re News, Re Mail, or Re Both. The article Composition window appears, displaying "Re" on its title bar, followed by the subject of the original newsgroup article.
- Click below the existing text in the article area (the large text box at the bottom of the window) and type your article. The Mail To, Newsgroups and Subject text boxes are already filled in for you.
- Click the Send button.
Main Newsgroup/Usenet Page
Main FAQ Page
Main Internet Primer Page
Bob Fahey's Home Page