Forwarding Newsgroup Articles
You can pass a copy of a newsgroup article to someone else, using an e-mail message. Netscape News, Microsoft's news program (whatever it's called), or Free Agent automatically attaches a copy of the newsgroup article to your outgoing e-mail message. This is the equivalent of taking an index card off a bulletin board, photocopying it, and mailing it to someone.
Actually, Netscape isn't my favorite news reader. But it is the one I happen to have instructons for:
To forward a newsgroup posting from Netscape
- On the Window menu, click Netscape News. The news window appears.
- In the news server pane, click the plus sign (+) next to a folder, or double-click the folder. The folder opens to display newsgroups.
- Click a newsgroup name. A list of posted articles for the newsgroup appears in the article header pane.
- In the article header (right) pane, click the newsgroup article you want to forward. The text of the article appears in the bottom window.
- Click the Forward button or click Forward on the article menu. The article Composition window appears. The Attachment and Subject text boxes are automatically filled in for you.
- Type one or more e-mail addresses in the Mail To text box. If you type more than one address, insert commas after each address. You also can use the to Using the Address Book.
- (optional) Click in the article area and add comments.
- Click the Send button.
Note: This is not the same thing as replying to a message. The content of the original article never appears in your outgoing message. Instead, it's attached (see Attaching Files to Newsgroup Articles).
Main Newsgroup/Usenet Page
Main FAQ Page
Main Internet Primer Page
Bob Fahey's Home Page